At Unplug Soy Candles, we take candle care very seriously and we urge consumers to be careful when burning candles!

A study by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission suggests that 85% of candle fires could be avoided if consumers followed three basic safety rules:

1. Never leave a burning candle unattended.
2. Never burn a candle on or near anything that might catch fire.
3. Keep candles out of the way of children and pets.



The first time you light your candle, please do NOT trim the wick and let the candle burn for 2-3 hours or until the wax has completely pooled to the edges of the container. Soy candles have a memory and once this first initial burn has taken place, this will keep the candle burning evenly from here on out and will prevent the candle from tunneling. Moving forward, keep your wick trimmed to 1/4". If your candle begins to mushroom or provide black smoke/soot, this means your wick is too long and should be trimmed!



Please remember to always keep burning candles away from drafts, vents, ceiling fans and air currents. Always burn candles in a well-ventilated room. Never touch a burning candle or move a votive or container candle when the wax is liquid. Never use a knife or sharp object to remove wax drippings from a glass holder. Place burning candles at least three inches apart from one another. Use a candle snuffer to extinguish a candle. Never extinguish candles with water. Make sure a candle is completely extinguished and the wick ember is no longer glowing before leaving the room. Extinguish a candle if it smokes, flickers repeatedly or the flame becomes too high.